The United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are eight international development goals that all 192 UN members states and at least 23 international organizations have agreed to achieve by the year 2015.
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV / AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Create a global partnership for development with targets for aid, debt and trade relief
Denver Sister Cities supports this bigger global mission. These goals embody basic human rights – the rights of each person on the planet to health, education, shelter and security. The MDGs are ambitious but feasible, and together, we can work towards a common vision. Through our humanitarian projects in developing countries – whether its ongoing efforts to alleviate HIV / AIDS in Nairobi, develop city-wide sanitation in Axum, or improve educational literacy in Cuernavaca – the citizens of Denver are committed to staying involved in finding sustainable solutions for global challenges.