Please join Denver Sister Cities and our Global Friends at the 2016 Worldwide Gala Saturday, August 27th, 2016 7:00 – 11:00 pm Kevin Taylor’s at the Opera House The Chamber’s Grant Salon Featuring jazz, open bar, elegant dinner, global Learn more
The Denver-Kunming Sister Cities Committee Presents: Chinese New Year Celebration 10-Course Banquet, Lion Dance, Silent Auction & Prizes Come Celebrate the Year of the Monkey! Sunday, February 21st, 2016 Festivities begin at 4:40 For the full schedule and flyer click Learn more
Worldwide Festival Sunday, October 4th, 2015 Denver Performing Arts Complex Galleria 10:30 am – 5:00 pm Celebrate the art, crafts, food, dance and cultures of Denver’s ten Sister Cities! Entrance to the daytime fair is free! Learn more
Please join Mayor Michael B. Hancock, Councilman Albus Brooks, and Denver Sister Cities International for the exciting kick-off of Global Exchange a speaker series for the international business community Global Exchange will offer direct access and introductions to Denver’s twelve Learn more
Denver – Kunming Sister Cities Committee Presents An Evening on the Silk Road Friday, April 10, 2015 6:00 – 9:00 pm Denver Museum of Nature and Science Exclusive access to the Silk Road Exhibit, Silk Road traders, a tea Learn more
Enchanting Yunnan 12 Days of unforgettable experiences! October 9 – 20, 2015 China Land only: $3620.00 per person double occupancy Single supplement: $855.00 We offer a discounted price of $3480.00 per person double occupancy if paid by check or Learn more
Join us on Thursday, January 8th, 2015 6:00 – 7:00 pm Cocktails & Hors d’Oeuvres 7:00 Dinner State of the Agency Swearing in of the 2015 Board of Directors Recognition of 2014’s Outstanding Volunteers Keynote: Denver’s International Strategy Learn more
Colorado Gives Day 2014 December 9th Created by Community First Foundation in 2007, ColoradoGives.org makes fundraising simple for nonprofits and giving easy for donors. Colorado Gives Day is an annual statemwide movement to celebrate and increase philanthropy in Learn more
The Worldwide Festival continues with The Worldwide Gala Sunday, September 7th McNichols Building, 144 W Colfax Please join us at our annual fundraiser! We have visiting dignitaries and friends coming from our Sister Cities in Brest, France and Nairobi, Learn more
- Kunming, the capital city of Yunnan Province in Southwest China, is known as the “City of Eternal Spring.”
- Similar to its Mile High sister city, Denver, it has an altitude of 6,200 feet, but with a closer proximity to the equator, Kunming enjoys a mild and temperate climate and is famous for its year-round floral displays.
- Kunming is on the northern edge of Dian Chi, one of China’s largest lakes, a picturesque area dotted with ancient temples near the Western Hills.
- Kunming and Yunnan are home to 25 of China’s ethnic minorities, 14 of which are unique to the province.
- The proximity to the Chinese side of the Himalayas, tropical areas near Southeast Asia and some of China’s most beautiful terraced rice fields make Kunming and Yunnan major tourist destinations.
- Kunming and the United States formed close ties during World War II. It was headquarters for the famous “Flying Tigers” and an American airbase. It was also the terminus for the Burma Road and landing site for the perilous “Hump” flights between China and India.
- Today, Kunming has a population of over seven million people. It is the major transportation and economic link between China, Southeast Asia, and India.
- The new Changshui International Airport is the 4th largest in China.
- A new City Center in the suburb of Chenggong has a population of approximately two million and is the location of the city government and fourteen universities.
- Mayor Frederico Pena signed the agreement for Kunming to become Denver’s 8th Sister City in 1986.
- For much of the relationship, Mr. John H. Yee, a Flying Tiger, and current Honorary Chair was integral to helping the two cities build a strong relationship and inspiring a tradition of dedicated volunteers passionate about working to link the two cities.
- There have been frequent and wide-ranging exchanges representing medical, cultural, media and educational fields.
- Several high level government exchanges and delegation trips have been held between the two cities with highlights including Mayor Wellington Webb visiting Kunming and the Secretary-General of Kunming visiting Denver.
- In 2011, the 25th Anniversary Celebration and accompanying Trade Talks, hosted by Denver, marked an important milestone for the Kunming-Denver sister city relationship.
- In 2013 Denver City Councilman Albus Brooks led a delegation of city officials and committee members on an exchange visit to Kunming.
- The “Eternal Good Fortune” Peacock sculpture was a gift from the Kunming Government celebrating the 15th anniversary of the Denver-Kunming Sister City relationship. The Sculpture was crafted by one of China’s most famous artists, Yuan Xiao Cen. The sculpture portrays a family of peacocks and signifies the people of Kunming’s wish for Denver to have good fortune, and their hope that the friendship between the two cities and nations will continue to last through the generations. This beautiful and impressive artwork (1.5 tons, measuring 15’ long, 6.5’ high, and 6’ wide) can be viewed at the Denver Zoo’s Carousel Meadow.
- The Kunming committee organizes local and global events to bring friends of Kunming together, hosting a traditional Chinese New Year Banquet every year and organizing other activities such as picnics and Autumn Moon Festivals in the City of Kunming Park.
- The committee makes educational presentations as part of the City in Suitcase program.
- Recently Kunming, Denver, and Nairobi were chosen to be collaborators on the Sino-African Initiative Grant awarded by Sister Cities International for a pilot project to address urban poverty in Africa through tri-lateral relationship building. During 2013 the three cities, working together, completed renovations at the Madaraka School in Nairobi, primarily adding flush toilets, and greatly enhancing the water supply to the school.
- Sister Cities International selected Kunming and Denver to be recipients of the award for “Innovation” to be presented at the China-US Sister Cities International Conference in Washington, D.C. in March of 2014.
Last Flying Tiger recalls WWII experiences
DENVER, the United States, July 23 (Xinhua) — John Yee is considered the last living member of the legendary U.S. Flying Tigers. When he was 19, Yee was almost blown to bits by a bomb dropped from a Japanese fighter plane, but he survived. read full article
Co – Chair: Jeanie Johnson
Co- Chair: France Addington-Lee
Honorary Chair: John H Yee
Treasurer: Kitsi Atkinson