Worldwide Festival Sunday, October 4th, 2015 Denver Performing Arts Complex Galleria 10:30 am – 5:00 pm Celebrate the art, crafts, food, dance and cultures of Denver’s ten Sister Cities! Entrance to the daytime fair is free! Learn more
Please join Mayor Michael B. Hancock, Councilman Albus Brooks, and Denver Sister Cities International for the exciting kick-off of Global Exchange a speaker series for the international business community Global Exchange will offer direct access and introductions to Denver’s twelve Learn more
The Potenza Committee invites you to Bocce at Potenza Park Saturday, June 6th Potenza Park Corner of Holly and Cherry Creek Drive South Beginning at 9:00 am Breakfast and Lunch will be served! $25 per person $100 per team Learn more
Join us on Thursday, January 8th, 2015 6:00 – 7:00 pm Cocktails & Hors d’Oeuvres 7:00 Dinner State of the Agency Swearing in of the 2015 Board of Directors Recognition of 2014’s Outstanding Volunteers Keynote: Denver’s International Strategy Learn more
Colorado Gives Day 2014 December 9th Created by Community First Foundation in 2007, ColoradoGives.org makes fundraising simple for nonprofits and giving easy for donors. Colorado Gives Day is an annual statemwide movement to celebrate and increase philanthropy in Learn more
We invite you to join us for our Bocce Tournament Hosted by Potenza Sister Cities Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 Beginning at 9:00 AM Mickey’s Top Sirloin 6950 North Broadway Denver, CO 80221 $25 per person $100 per team Breakfast Learn more
The Worldwide Festival continues with The Worldwide Gala Sunday, September 7th McNichols Building, 144 W Colfax Please join us at our annual fundraiser! We have visiting dignitaries and friends coming from our Sister Cities in Brest, France and Nairobi, Learn more
Worldwide Festival Sunday, September 7th McNichols Building Civic Center Park 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Become a sponsor! Vendor Sign Up Celebrate the art, crafts, food, dance and cultures of Denver’s ten Sister Cities! Entrance to the daytime fair Learn more
WE INVITE YOU TO JOIN US FOR OUR “BOCCE AT THE PARK” TOURNAMENT HOSTED BY POTENZA SISTER CITIES SATURDAY, JUNE 21ST POTENZA PARK THE CORNER OF HOLLY AND CHERRY CREEK DRIVE SOUTH JUST EAST OF CHERRY Learn more
- Potenza, Italy is the capital city of the region of Basilicata.
- This little city was previously a Roman municipality.
- Because of its power and position, both geographically and politically, the city has experienced considerable growth in recent years, including a population increase.
- In ancient times, Basilicata was known as Lucania and contained Greek colonies.
- In the third century, it was conquered by the Romans and became the third region of Italy under Roman rule.
- In 435 A.C., it fell under the rule of Odaocer, the first barbarian of Italy, followed by the Ostrogoths, Lombards, the Duchy of Benenvento, and, finally, under Byzantine domination.
- The region contains a mountain range called L’Appennino Lucano, which is quite high and also volcanic. The active volcano, II Vulture, is 1,330 meters high. Much of the surrounding area is uninhabitable.
- Despite the volcanic activity, the region is abundant in wild animals, especially birds. Inhabitants of Potenza pride themselves on the abundance of the flora and fauna.
- Basilicata is also famous for its artisans, and also produces wheat, corn, oil, wool and silk.
- Similar geographic climates and a passion and pride for the local environment made Potenza a good match for Denver.
- Potenza became a Denver sister city in 1983.
- Since that time, Denver has enjoyed visits from official delegations, many musical organizations (opera), and high school and community member exchanges.
- The committee continues to hold bi-annual bocce tournaments to fundraise.
- Recently, they also held their first wine tasting as another cultural event to make Italian culture more accessible to the Denver community.
- The committee has also participated in the Festival Italiano to promote knowledge of Italian culture.
- Another prominent initiative is the provision of scholarships to students to be able to study abroad in Potenza.
- Since 2010, the committee has organized three community trips to Potenza, enabling Denver community members to experience the culture of the sister city, with aid of Potenza locals.
The official city website (in Italian)
For English speakers
Chair: Maria Allen