Join us on Thursday, January 8th, 2015 6:00- 7:00 pm – Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres 7:00 – 9:00 pm – Dinner and Meeting Wellshire Event Center 3333 S Colorado Blvd Denver, CO 80222 Tickets are $50 per person Click here Learn more
Colorado Gives Day 2014 December 9th Created by Community First Foundation in 2007, ColoradoGives.org makes fundraising simple for nonprofits and giving easy for donors. Colorado Gives Day is an annual statemwide movement to celebrate and increase philanthropy in Learn more
We invite you to join us for our Bocce Tournament Hosted by Potenza Sister Cities Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 Beginning at 9:00 AM Mickey’s Top Sirloin 6950 North Broadway Denver, CO 80221 $25 per person $100 per team Breakfast Learn more
The Worldwide Festival continues with The Worldwide Gala Sunday, September 7th McNichols Building, 144 W Colfax Please join us at our annual fundraiser! We have visiting dignitaries and friends coming from our Sister Cities in Brest, France and Nairobi, Learn more
Worldwide Festival Sunday, September 7th McNichols Building Civic Center Park 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Become a sponsor! Vendor Sign Up Celebrate the art, crafts, food, dance and cultures of Denver’s ten Sister Cities! Entrance to the daytime fair Learn more
WE INVITE YOU TO JOIN US FOR OUR “BOCCE AT THE PARK” TOURNAMENT HOSTED BY POTENZA SISTER CITIES SATURDAY, JUNE 21ST POTENZA PARK THE CORNER OF HOLLY AND CHERRY CREEK DRIVE SOUTH JUST EAST OF CHERRY Learn more
Wednesday, April 2nd 8:00 am – 9:15 am State Capital Building, Rotunda Join us as we celebrate and honor the sister city programs throughout the state and the many volunteers involved with these organizations. Sponsored by State Representatives Paul Learn more
2014 Tour of Potenza and Southern Italy Journey across exotic Southern Italy, from the eternal city of Rome into the breathtaking Amalfi Coast, the luxury of thermal spas, the flavour of local cuisine and the delightful intrigues of the Learn more
Water to Wine WINE TASTING Denver Sister Cities International Potenza’s Italian Wine Tasting Thursday, March 13, 6:30 – 8:30 pm 9608 E. Arapahoe Rd. Greenwood Village, CO 80112 $28 in advance $32 at the door Focus of this fabulous Learn more
- Potenza, Italy is the capital city of the region of Basilicata.
- This little city was previously a Roman municipality.
- Because of its power and position, both geographically and politically, the city has experienced considerable growth in recent years, including a population increase.
- In ancient times, Basilicata was known as Lucania and contained Greek colonies.
- In the third century, it was conquered by the Romans and became the third region of Italy under Roman rule.
- In 435 A.C., it fell under the rule of Odaocer, the first barbarian of Italy, followed by the Ostrogoths, Lombards, the Duchy of Benenvento, and, finally, under Byzantine domination.
- The region contains a mountain range called L’Appennino Lucano, which is quite high and also volcanic. The active volcano, II Vulture, is 1,330 meters high. Much of the surrounding area is uninhabitable.
- Despite the volcanic activity, the region is abundant in wild animals, especially birds. Inhabitants of Potenza pride themselves on the abundance of the flora and fauna.
- Basilicata is also famous for its artisans, and also produces wheat, corn, oil, wool and silk.
- Similar geographic climates and a passion and pride for the local environment made Potenza a good match for Denver.
- Potenza became a Denver sister city in 1983.
- Since that time, Denver has enjoyed visits from official delegations, many musical organizations (opera), and high school and community member exchanges.
- The committee continues to hold bi-annual bocce tournaments to fundraise.
- Recently, they also held their first wine tasting as another cultural event to make Italian culture more accessible to the Denver community.
- The committee has also participated in the Festival Italiano to promote knowledge of Italian culture.
- Another prominent initiative is the provision of scholarships to students to be able to study abroad in Potenza.
- Since 2010, the committee has organized three community trips to Potenza, enabling Denver community members to experience the culture of the sister city, with aid of Potenza locals.
The official city website (in Italian)
For English speakers
Chair: Maria Allen